Thursday, February 10, 2011

Book Review #10

The Final Solution: A Story of Detection (P.S.)The Final Solution: A Story of Detection by Michael Chabon

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


This is Chabon's first book after Kavalier and Clay (I'm not counting Summerland; I mean The Final Solution was his first book of merit). The Final Solution is a slight volume, but I don't think it's a slight work. In some respects it reads like an erudite young adult book. The language is mostly simple and direct. The conceit of the main character is amusing, and the boy and his parrot are provocative ciphers. The actual mystery isn't quite as interesting as I would have hoped, but the mystery really serves as a foil for the characters and their relationships. Ultimately, this book is plenty worth the 2 hours it will take you to read it.



View all my reviews

No comments: