Friday, January 23, 2009

Self Promotion

And why not? These are a few links to pieces of writing I have in internet literary (or baseball) magazines. I'm sort of hoping if I posts these links enough maybe they'll rise to the top when people google my name and maybe push the link to my sub-par performance in a 5K race I ran 5 years ago out of the top hits...

And leaving aside self-promotion, these are some pretty good journals, if you're just looking for random things to read on the internet, as you clearly are if you're here, then you should give 'em a read.

Slurve Magazine
Slurve: The literature and arts review that masquerades as a baseball publication

2 River View
Distinguishes itself by including audio of the authors reading their work. Sadly I had a cold when it was due, but I think it's a great concept. Hearing a work read can add a lot to the literary experience. Though I'm not sure how well these mp3s will mix into your gym work out.

Diagram
Diagram has a nice clean-quirky aesthetic. Diagram is one of the few literary journals, whether print or web, that consistently excites me with their content. Every issue has a few pieces that are just a little different, a sort of special surprise. Plus they have great merchandising, including the "POE TRY" booty shorts (poe on the left cheek, try on the right).

Opium Magazine
Famed creator of the "Literary Deathmatch." While the authors featured don't fight to the death, they do one of the more exciting reading series around. All pieces on Opium Online feature an estimated reading time. Good for when you have a very specific amount of time to want to spend reading.

More links to publications next month. Hopefully.

1 comment:

Ori Fienberg said...

My number one goal in getting pieces published is to increase the number of people who read my work. With each publication online I include my e-mail address and hope that someone will like the work enough to send me a quick note.

Every now and then I get some small proof, that someone has read a piece, like this blogpost, http://zerite.net/literatti, where the work of Ori Fienberg is the last word on the subject of love, amongst a Parthenon of authors including Milan Kundera, Alice Hoffman, Margaret Atwood, and Anais Nin.