Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Reclaiming the Name

Having a middle name that begins with "J" sets you up for all sorts of cool initial based nicknames.  I've always wondered why my brother never went by D.J., but I think it's pretty clear why I haven't gone by O.J.  Oh sure, I was called that from time to time when I was younger, and it was still cool.  But by the time I was 12 people had begun to mockingly ask if Ori was short for Orenthal, as if even that first syllable were tainted, and that taint had somehow been spread to my being and deserved derision .  I suppose I should be glad my first name isn't Orenthal.  I don't know if anyone's ever going to bring that one back, though I suppose boys are probably named Adolf each year.

I'm currently making this post on borrowed computer time, but in the new year you can look forward to reading book, television, and movie reviews and a vast variety of cultural commentary.

- O.J.

No comments: